Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A muslim girl encounters Jesus and becomes a Catholic

HOW DID MUNIRA BECOME FATIMA?

A personal testimony of a muslim and her journey to Christianity. (source http://vachanolsavam.org - October 2006 Magazine)

By Munira
 
I was born in a Muslim family and my name was Munira. Although my family was very affluent, I was always in anxiety and despair. I approached many palmists, soothsayers, and diviners in the hope of finding some solutions, but my mind continued to be worried. Although I had all the material comforts, my heart was filled with darkness and hollowness. 

NEW LIGHT The experience of a relative of mine who had an overdose of sleeping pills affected my life greatly. He was in an unconscious, hallucinatory state and then he felt that he was making a journey to the den of death, passing through a dark tunnel. At the end of the tunnel he saw some powerful halo of light. Two images were seen in the halo. He told me it was Jesus and Mary. My faith was given a rude blow with this revelation. 

Imam and his explanation
I approached the Imam of our mosque with the intention of clarifying my religious doubts. From the explanation he gave me I understood the significance of Jesus. The Imam told me that it was Jesus that receives the souls after the death of people and that is why he is called “Isa Ruhalla”. Now doubts began to pester my mind. What is the truth: the things I was believing in so far or the new revelation? My mind was like a tumultuous ocean. That night I had a dream in which I heard a sound telling me, “Munira, follow him!” As I looked in the direction of the pointing finger, I saw a man in the garment of a shepherd, holding a sheep hook. It was Jesus. I realized the truth now. “There is no other name under heaven given among mortals by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12). EVERYTHING OLD HAS PASSED AWAY From then my efforts were to know more about the Truth, Jesus. 

Retreat Conducted by Fr Rufus and revelations
During a retreat conducted by Fr. Rufus, I got more revelations. When I practised the message to repent, to forgive and to make the divine experience my own, my heart throbbed with joy. Along with my daily prayers, I began to say the Rosary. From the time I came to know of the promise given in the Acts of the Apostles that even Gentiles can get the Holy Spirit, I earnestly prayed for the anointing of the Spirit. In the Holy Land, where the footsteps of Jesus are imprinted, I too received the Pentecost experience. I was the only non-Christian among 72 pilgrims. As I was immersed in prayer, the Holy Spirit filled my being. As a mild breeze caressed me, I was filled with anointing and suddenly I began to pray in tongues. TO BE ONE IN LOVE Just like the woman of Canan that begged tearfully for blessings, I too was keen on experiencing the love of Jesus through the Holy Eucharist. There were obstacles on the way. There were objections, too. 

INTO THE CATHOLIC FAITH
By the grace of God, in the private Chapel of the Pope in Rome, I was admitted into the Catholic faith. Because of my special love and reverence for the Holy Mother I took the name Fatima. After that I was able to take part in a feast attended by cardinals, priests and the religious sisters. How lucky I was! My eyes were filled with tears of joy. When we came to know the power of Jesus, my entire family became Christians. I was able to partake not only of the joy of the Lord, but also of his sorrow. 


Persecution by relatives
Our relatives and friends ostracized us. When our business collapsed, we were in financial straits. “He has graciously granted you the privilege not only of believing in Christ, but of suffering for him as well” (Phil 1:29). Some people began a propaganda campaign against us that we became Christians with the motive of profit. This was our biggest pain. Still we have problems. But the presence of Jesus - the King of Peace – fortifies us. 

Do pray for us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your story Fatima.You and your family are in my prayers and I hope you will pray for me too-my wife has decided to convert to Islam and things are very tough but your story is a real inspiration.God bless.

Paul Breen.

Most Popular Spiritual Articles

Life after Death Experience - Fr Jose

Miracle of the Eucharist at Catholic Retreat - Real Presence of Jesus - Jesus is ALIVE

Our (Christ and i) Catholic Sites

Fr Augustine - Divine Retreat Centre - www.drcm.org

7 Indescribable Tortures in Hell - St Faustina